The truth as I know it:

We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time & miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands. ~~~ Kristi Larson

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Help Haiti Now!

Hey friends, I have a heavy heart for the folks in Haiti right now.  I have never been to Haiti, but I have several friends who are extremely committed to Haiti as part of our mission work at Church.  All the local Catholic churches have sister parishes they support in Haiti and each church runs it's own mission to Haiti at least once every year.  Therefore I have alot of friends who are deeply committed and affected by this nation.

In addition, I have an acquaintance, and I use that term very liberally because in fact, I've only met him twice, but we have two close mutual friends, who is in Haiti right now and was there during the earthquake.  His parents run the Hands and Feet Children's Village (which is an orphanage.)  Mark Stuart sent this message today and I thought the words were really worth sharing, it's unimaginable.

"... we are very scared.  The buildings [in the village] held up great, but there are several houses right around us that have collapsed.  Many houses and buildings in Jacmel have collapsed, including the hospital.  I know most of the news there is coming from Port au Prince, but there is substantial loss of life here on the south coast.  We need prayer for wisdom and strength.  It's very chaotic here.

Last night was crazy.... slept on the dirt in the center of the village... away from buildings.  Tonight we may venture back indoors, but that is yet to be decided.  We only go in and out to get necessities.

The Haitian people are numb, and sadly, very used to death.  However, this has created what seems to be a hypnotic state.  I've never been in a situation where you feel SO helpless, fearful, and small.  The tremors are coming again as I type.  Whoa!!!"

I can't even imagine!  There isn't even a hospital to turn to if they need it.  Plus, it's believed that even more children will be brought into the orphanage due to the death toll.

You can check out the Hands and Feet Project online.  You can donate directly to Hands and Feet HERE!  HAF and Compassion have both asked that you make any monetary donations through reputable organizations as money sent directly to Haiti will not necessarily trickle down to the folks who need it.

TOMS is running a relief promo right now where in addition to giving a pair of TOMS for every pair that is purchased, they will give $5 to Partners In Health.  If you are not familiar with Paul Farmer, you must go get the book Mountains Beyond Mountains.  It will rock your world.  But in the meantime, take my word for it, get a great pair of trendy shoes AND give money to this fabulous organization in the process. Partners In Health is a totally reputable group doing amazing work all over the world, but they are centered in Haiti.

Additionally, Compassion International is always doing a good work and they are centered on helping the orphans too!  I can't begin to comprehend the need that will be generated from this catastrophe.  It can't be overstated how slammed the orphanages will be.  I know that the orphanage in Grand Goave crumbled in the middle of the night.  Many others are bound to be damaged in addition to needing to serve more children in the coming days and months.  I have attached a button at the top of my blog where you can give directly to Compassion for use in Haiti.  Also, you can click here for more options.



Isaiah 49:13b
"For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones."  

6 comments:

Erika Kolecki said...

The UPS and Airline rumors are not true. The best thing anyone can do right now is to donate cash. Texting Haiti to 90999 charges $10 to your cell phone bill and that money goes straight to Red Cross efforts in Haiti. Easy way to help!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

We are going Saturday to pack food which will be shipped over...it is so aweful...I wished I could jump on a plane or boat and go and help...but with 4 kids at home and a husband who travels...it is just a wish unfortunately..besides what good would I be sitting around crying? Pray. that is what I can do. Pray.

Intentional Living Homestead said...

I just saw Mark Stuart on CNN via Skype (I think)...what an incredible situation there right now...my heart aches so bad that I can hardly breathe or sleep. You mentioned the orphanage in Grand Goave...my niece's SIL runs an orphanage there with her husband. She is caucasion and just married a Haitian in December. They just emailed this morning telling their family they were okay...but have lost everything. They are still looking for two boys from the orphanage. The orphanage I think is called Heart 2 Heart...have you heard of that?

Thank you for sharing this..and sharing with us on Gwen's blog.

We will be in prayer,

Connie
www.homesteadblogger.com/forgiven

lori said...

Ondrea-

Worldvision is also accepting donations for Haiti. Thanks for listing all the organizations that are helping

Craig and Phyllis said...

I sat stunned watching the television yesterday afternoon. Last night I saw a report that was talking to adoptive parents that have been matched with children in Haiti. They have no news as to if their child is okay or if the orphanage is okay. They have contacted the US government to see if they can go to bring their children home, but it is a no-go because of the Haitian gov't being so overwhelmed. I can't even imagine being in their shoes right now.

Gwen Oatsvall said...

ADD 147 to list of helpers ... We are going to donate 50% profits over the next month to orphanage in Haiti ... so excited to be part of the love heading that way ... love ya sister !!