The truth as I know it:

We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time & miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands. ~~~ Kristi Larson

Thursday, September 25, 2008

What's not to love?

I just keep uncovering things I love about Meg (well, all my kids, really, but right now, Meg is the most "undiscovered", so I learn new things about her every day.)

I love that when we are dancing in the living room, she throws her head back as if she's just relishing every moment of being twirled and swayed across the floor by her Mama!

I love that she gets hair "do-ies" and puts them in her front teeth because this is what she sees me doing.

I love that when her cousin Reilly comes over, Meg thinks they are always supposed to have a bowl of Cheerios together because Reilly did this ONE time a few weeks ago and now Meg thinks of Cheerios every time Reilly is over.

I love that when she wants to go outside and play, she says, "oook", which is her version of "Luke" (our foster dog.)

I love that she loves girly stuff. She likes to put on bracelets and necklaces and goes straight for the high-heels in the dress up bin in the nursery. I love that she wants to sit with me in the morning when I am putting on my make-up and pulls various items out of my bag and pretends to be putting them on.

I love that she LOVES her big brothers.
Today we went to school to eat lunch with Jack and when she saw Liam she ran to him calling "Ny-Ya" (her version of Liam.) Of course, this thrilled him! And Jack was the hit of the lunchroom with his friends because they all wanted Meg to give them five, "pound it", sit by them, sit in their lap, etc. etc. At one point Jack commented that she was like a rock-star because all the kiddos that sit at his table were gathered around her vying for her attention... of course, this was fine with Jack because that meant that he was inadvertently getting attention and he was beaming from ear to ear!
Anyone who thinks that the differences between boys and girls are either 1) clothing or 2) learned environmentally should come to my house. In all likelihood, my daughter was never treated like a "girl". She wasn't given specific girl toys to play with, she wasn't taught different demeanor or treated differently from the boys in her group because she was a girl. All twelve children in her group lived by the same rules, followed the same routine, conformed to the same expectations, and played with the same store of toys. It's probably as near a gender-neutral environment as you can get. However, she is inherently a girl. She came into our life with no interest WHATSOEVER in any of the thousands of boy toys we had at our house. We quickly went to stock up on a few things like baby strollers and tea sets as it was apparent that she was at a loss for what to do with a dinosaur that roars or a remote control 4X4. Yet, she goes straight for the tea set every single day. She pushes her baby in the stroller, kisses her "ba-ba" (baby) every night at bedtime and then wants me to tuck the baby in with a tiny blanket, next to Meg with her regular sized blanket. She instinctively mothers things. And she is instinctively FULL of D-R-A-M-A.

She is so funny when she starts talking because you really can't make out a word she is saying, but she will carry on a one sided conversation, cocking her head to the side, pointing her finger, and batting her eyelashes. Daddy, watch out! :)

Now, I have to send props out to my friend, Becky, who is a rockin' chick in every way. But this particular day, she taught me how to imbed a link in my posts so that now you can just clickety click on the word rather than having to cut and paste! :) Yay, Becky! See, anyone with any technical prowess is worth awe in my book, which pretty much puts my hubby up there next to Bono in the rock star category, but HE isn't very helpful... he's always mumbling something about tech support and "reboot" nonsense. Becky on the other hand is technical AND helpful! :) Plus she has an adorable little fellow that I'm trying to work an arranged marriage to Meg. Anyway, thanks Becky! You rock!

Okay, it's after nine and there are TWO hours of Grey's Anatomy calling my name from our DVR... gotta run!

1 John 2:10
"Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble."

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Sounds like having a daughter is definitely thrilling you! :) And it sounds like Meg is having a wonderful time too.