The truth as I know it:

We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time & miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands. ~~~ Kristi Larson

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Connor's Birthday Party... another failed attempt at the Martha Stewart award!

Yesterday was Connor's birthday party. Yes, yes, I know, it's over three weeks since his birthday, but we have a crazy life and anyway, it took me two weeks to decide what weekend to host it. Turned out we picked a good one because it was so nice out yesterday. I was able to have the ten or so pre-schoolers (mostly) out in the yard for the majority of the party, which really made for a nice relaxing time for everyone. The five moms who stayed were able to visit and enjoy ourselves most of the time.

I am very thankful for good friends who give me alot of grace. I am probably the worst Southern hostess in the history of Southern women! I just can't seem to get it together. Scarlett O'Hara would be appalled at my party-giving abilities, for sure. Yesterday these awesome women that I have surrounded myself with did things that I obviously wasn't thinking to do... like get the drinks out of the fridge, take out the trash and get a garbage bag for wrapping paper and cupcake holders, find the Superman napkins that I had bought but forgotten to put out, etc. etc. etc. (Never mind that I bought Batman plates but never got those out... we'll be using Batman plates for dinner for the next two weeks! :) I know this comes as no surprise to alot of my family who has been put out if not down-right embarrassed for years over my lack of concern for the comfort of my guests! :) It's a joke in the neighborhood that you could sit at my house for an hour before it dawns on me to offer you something to drink. I told one neighbor that if she sees me out and I don't speak to her, don't take it personally, it's not that I don't like her, it's just that I'm not very thoughtful! :) Anyway, like I said, thankfully, I have friends that just take me as I am and don't hold it against me. And even pitch in to make me look "not so bad". Truly, I'm an okay person, I'm just a bit of a party-giving airhead.

But I do have to say that I get the mother of the year award compared to my husband, who slipped upstairs to watch a bit of college football at the beginning of the party and promptly fell asleep. He woke up 15 minutes after the party was over, missed the cake, presents, everything. hehehehe So... I can't say I blame him for not wanting to hang out with five neighborhood moms.

The good news is that Connor never noticed any of our blunders. He got to feel special for two hours, got alot of fun presents (which to a four year old is really what the party is about anyway) and had a blast with his friends! There were only two girls invited, it was like a pack of bear cubs wrestling and giggling for two solid hours.

Here's the evidence of a thoroughly successful celebration, enjoy!

1 comment:

Michelle R said...

Happy bday Conner!
Michelle