The truth as I know it:

We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time & miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands. ~~~ Kristi Larson

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Say Hello to my Little Friends

We've had a fun weekend exploring the island.  We drove to Pearl Harbor and up to the North Shore yesterday, stopped in Haleiwa and played around in the tide pools.  We had intended to go to Turtle Bay, but we just couldn't get enough energy after our active start.  We spent five hours at Pearl Harbor.  It was great.  It's really something I didn't know if I would ever see or not, but considering my birthday is Pearl Harbor Day, I am really glad I got a chance to go.  We did pretty much everything there was to do there.  From there we drove the Kamehameha Highway up to Haleiwa, the famous surfing town on the North Shore.  The waves were bigger, but not the colossal waves you hear about (those come later in the fall.)  We stopped at a reef where there are lots of tide pools and the kids had a great time picking up little crabs, etc.  It was alot of fun.

Today, Brian and I got up and went to Hanauma Bay. It's not far from our house.  We spent a couple of hours there snorkeling around.  The highlight was the sea turtle that we got to "meet."  He was just a few feet away from us, swimming totally unbothered by the presence of about 5 swimmers that gathered around to get a closer look at him.  Amazing!

I don't want to take for granted the incredible beauty and atmosphere of this place.  I can't believe that God has given us the opportunity to live here.  I don't think that I could ever get sick of or "used to" looking at the amazing scenery and landscape here.  I told Brian this morning that I think God was just totally showing off when He created this place.

Brian and I drove up to the top of Diamond Head last night and looked out over the ocean.  The moon is almost completely full (starting to wane a little) and SO bright.  The past few nights we've had moon-shadows on our patio, it's so bright.  Standing there, on the edge of thousands of miles of water, makes me feel so miniscule.  The island in general creates a backdrop for feeling small.  When you stand on the beach of the mainland and look out at so much water, you don't feel quite so small, knowing that thousands of miles of land stretch on behind you.  Standing on this tiny island, literally just an up-rising of a sea mountain, knowing you are standing on the tip of a mountain (volcano, whatever) and knowing that there is nothing for miles and miles is totally overwhelming and humbling.  I really thought I might feel a bit claustrophobic here, but it's actually just made me realize my humanity and the smallness of me.  It's a great reminder.

I am thankful for the adventure of learning a totally new place, new culture, and new lifestyle.  It didn't seem so huge in my 20's when Brian and went to California.  I mean, I loved the change of lifestyle then, but it wasn't such a monumental undertaking.  Now, we get all the pains and glory of growing pains.  We get to navigate this with our children and it helps us not focus so much attention on what's going on with us.  Don't get me wrong, I miss my friends like mad.  Our friend, "Leenda" had a surprise birthday party last night and I really wanted to be there celebrating with everyone.  But I don't get the luxury of focusing on what I'm feeling.  I have the privilege of making sure my kids are emotionally okay.  And that is such a blessing.

Not that we are having anything other than joy and blessings, but the words of James seem to say so beautifully what I am thinking, "Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy.  For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything."  James 1:2-4  As I said, I don't want to give the impression that we are experiencing "trouble."  Believe me, many people would trade my "troubles" for theirs.  It's amazing what we've been given.  It's amazing the doors that God has opened and the comfort with which He has allowed us to transition (almost better than we have it at home, minus the community of support.)  But still, I know there are lessons, even in this luxury.


This is the green sea turtle that visited us today.


Amy, Brian and the kiddos at Pearl Harbor


On the lookout deck aboard the USS Bowfin


The Amazing Amy at the North Shore


Me, being goofy at Hanauma.  I'll explain the hair another day... believe me, you don't want to know.


See, I told you God was just showing off.  Why else make a fish that looks like a rainbow?




Don't know why the photos are out of order... this is the boys in one of the submarine control rooms.


Brian going through a "door" on the sub.  No thank you to submarine life for me! 


Go figure, all of a sudden, Connor wants to pose at every single photo op.  This is the same boy who never wanted his photo taken 6 months ago. 

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow it looks like you are having an amazing time.

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

There is a reason that you are there...family time is something that can never be done over again...they grow up too quickly...and what an amazing experience for you all! God is going to bless this journey and it looks like He has already started! I can't believe you found a sea turtle!