The truth as I know it:

We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time & miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands. ~~~ Kristi Larson

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

You can say you knew him when....

**** Don't ask me what's going on with the font in this post... I'm still trying to figure out how the heck to do things on this MacBook.  It's a steep learning curve!*******

Man, growing up is hard.  For mamas!  My 4th grader got on the bus this morning and it was so hard for me to see him ruling the roost.  I watched him as he selected his seat, remembering well what it's like to be the top dog in the school.  Not that he himself is the top dog, but as a 4th grader, he's in his last year of Elementary because our school district only goes through 4th grade.  So that means that all 4th graders are the holy grail at our school, right?  And I watched him as he decided where to sit on the bus and I was happy for him, that this year, he has his choice of seats and he can sit anywhere he wants.  Cause next year, he'll be low man on the totem poll again and the older kids will be dictating where he sits and who he sits with.  But it's hard, you know, seeing that little baby of mine, being the big dude on the bus.  I remember crying the first day he got on the bus, thinking about from whence he came.  It's hard to think about what his life might have been without Providential intervention.  It's an humbling thing to know that God chose us to be a part of what He has planned for this special child's life.  And he is so very special.  

One of the neat things I have seen through adoption is that your kids are like little gifts in a different way.  You don't know what hidden talent and desires they will have.  You unwrap them as the years go by.  They don't have a genetic code that is familiar to you so you can't necessarily expect that because you were good at baseball that your offspring will be good at baseball, you know?  And lucky for Jack, he did not get his musical abilities from me or his dad!  Because apparently the boy has some talent.  
My baby boy, you know, the one who should still be in diapers, he started bass guitar lessons yesterday.  He's going to love it.  He had already picked out the chords to "Another One Bites the Dust" by ear.  He learned to play "Sweet Child of Mine" yesterday and that is what he has been charged with practicing this week.  Can I tell you how excited I am that he is playing and practicing stuff that is from "my day" rather than his?  Save this post so you can prove you knew him before he was famous! :)

I'm just humbled and continually awed at what God is doing in the lives of my children and what He is doing in my through them.  Brian and I are blessed.


5 comments:

Barb said...

Awwww, your baby's all grown up! How cool about the bass!!

Kristi J said...

oh, too big too fast...I wish they'd all slow down , kj

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

What a handsome young man... and I really do enjoy that song! sweet child of mine...so fitting.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

so awesome!

Bethany said...

Wow! It seems like yesterday when I was looking at pictures of him as a baby from Aunt Janie and Jetty. Love the picture!